When you’re on vacation in a foreign city, you probably rely a lot on Google Maps. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong. But it could happen. For example, Google Maps may suddenly stop giving you directions or pointing you in the right direction.
If you’ve stopped hearing Google Maps voicemail messages, you probably want to fix the problem quickly. After all, navigating unfamiliar territory while constantly staring at your phone is neither safe nor comfortable.
Check out our solutions for the Google Maps voice control problem and you will see that the problem is quickly solved. At least I hope so.
Table of contents :
- How do I get directions in Google Maps?
- Here is how to solve the problem of Google Maps not talking on Android.
- Check the volume of the device
- Make sure that the voice function is enabled in the map application.
- Clear the application cache
- Check your Bluetooth speakers
- Disabling Bluetooth Navigation
- Updating Google Maps
- Reinstalling Google Maps
Reminder: First, let’s see how you can get voice directions in Google Maps. Here you can see how to activate voice guidance:
- Open Google Maps.
- Go to Settings > Navigation settings > Speech volume.
- Select the display volume (Quiet, Normal, or Loud).
- If you are using Bluetooth headsets, make sure that Bluetooth voice playback is turned on.
Now that you know that voice notifications are enabled, let’s see what we can do if this feature stops working.
I know it’s obvious, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a lull without realizing it. Press the volume key or go to settings and make sure the ringer is on.
That’s obvious too, but we have to make the best of it. Here’s how to check if sound is enabled in the Maps application :
- Enter a destination and press Start.
- Press the Sound button in the top right corner and make sure it is on.
We now move from the obvious solutions to the clichés. If you still can’t hear Google Maps’ voices, clearing the application’s cache may be the answer. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Apps or Apps Manager (depending on your phone and ROM).
- Find Google Maps in App Manager (if you can’t find it, choose Show All Apps or Show System Services in Advanced Settings).
- Press Google Maps and select Store.
- Press Clear Cache. Pay attention: The process may be different on your phone, but you have an idea of what to do.
You can also try clearing the data instead of the cache. Note however that this will completely reset the application, so all settings and downloaded maps and routes will be removed.
If you are using headphones or a Bluetooth headset to listen to Google Maps, make sure they are properly connected. I already showed you above how to enable Google Maps voice over Bluetooth. If this works, try reconnecting the headset wirelessly.
If all goes well, move on to the next step of troubleshooting.
Solution 5 – Turn off Bluetooth navigation
If you’re not using a Bluetooth headset and you’re talking to Google Maps using your phone’s speakerphone or a wired headset, you need to turn off Voice over Bluetooth. In fact, several users have stated that disabling this feature actually solved the problem.
Therefore, just go back to Settings > Navigation settings > Speech level and disable voice output via Bluetooth.
Even though it’s a service in itself, you still use Google Maps as an application on your phone. And the applications get a little crazy sometimes. If something in the application code doesn’t allow Google Maps to send voice instructions, Google will likely notice.
And when that happens, you can expect the patch update to arrive soon. So in addition to all these workarounds, make sure Google Maps is up to date.
If you still can’t talk to Google Maps, maybe it’s time to turn the wheel. Uninstall the application and then reinstall it from the Play Store. Yes, you will lose all settings and downloads, but several users have reported that reinstalling the application actually fixed the problem, so it may be worth it.
That’s all I’m saying. Hopefully, at least one of these fixes has solved the voice navigation problem in Google Maps. If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please let us know in the comments below. Also visit us on Twitter or Facebook to learn more about troubleshooting all kinds of issues on Android and iOS.
Editor’s comment : This article was first published in May 2019. We made sure it was fresh and accurate.
google maps not talking on android, google maps not talking iphone, why am i not getting voice directions on google maps, how do i turn on voice navigation on google maps, google maps settings android, google maps voice navigation iphone, google maps no sound when charging, google maps won’t play through car speakers