Microsoft Word now offers users a document comparison tool that provides a simple and effective way to compare and merge two versions of Word document files, highlight differences and make changes. Below is information on how to use this handy feature of Microsoft Word.
Compare or merge two different versions of a Microsoft Word document
With Microsoft Word’s document comparison program, you can easily compare and merge two different versions of documents. It is available on both a Windows 10 computer and a Mac computer running Microsoft Word. Follow the steps below one by one to find out how to proceed.
- Start Microsoft Word on your device.
- Find the Notes section in the top menu bar.
- Choose Compare along the band.
- A drop-down menu appears. Click on Compare.
- A new window will appear. On the left, click the drop-down arrow below the original document.
- Click on Browse. Find the file you want to compare and click Open.
- On the right, click the drop-down list under Reviewed document.
- Click on Browse. Find the file you want to edit. Click on Open.
- After you have selected the two files, you can specify how you want to mark the changes. You can write any name or description. Click on the box next to Mark changes.
- If you want to change the layout further, click the Advanced button at the bottom.
- Under Comparison Options, check the boxes next to the categories you want to include.
- Press OK.
Use the Microsoft Word document comparison tool effectively
After selecting the two files to compare, you will see both documents in a single window.
The completed revision is shown on the left. On the right side you can see the changes in each paragraph. In the middle you will see the original or revised document.
To change the screen view, go to Overview and tap Track. You have four options to choose from. One is the original, which represents the original document. The second is Unmarked, which is a revised, unmarked document. The third is All Markup, where all text is removed and updated. Finally, you can choose simple formatting if you want to see the modified text in red formatting.
Merge all changes in two different Microsoft Word documents
After you have made changes, you can copy the revisions to the original document.
- Go to the Notes section of the menu bar.
- Find the Changes section and click Apply.
- You can choose Accept and proceed to the next step or Accept all changes.
- Save your file after you have accepted it.
Merging two versions of Microsoft Word documents
You can also merge two different versions into one file after creating multiple revisions.
- Click on Tools in the menu bar.
- Choose Combined Documents.
- Click the drop-down list below the original document and select the file.
- Click on the drop-down list under Revised Document and select the file.
- Press OK.
Do you find the tool to compare Microsoft Word documents useful? You can let us know by leaving a comment below.
compare two word documents and highlight differences 2016,how to view two documents side by side in windows 10,compare two word documents for similarities,view two word documents side by side,compare two word documents and highlight differences,how to compare two word documents side by side,Privacy settings,How Search works,how to compare two word documents side by side mac,compare two word documents side by side online